martes, 25 de enero de 2011

The Cask of Amontillado I - by Liliana

Nemo me impune lacessit

As my spirit of investigation is still alive I have been working as a detective again!!!!!
What’s the meaning of “ Nemo me impune lacessit”? ("No one insults me with impunity”).

*During the reign of Charles II, the motto was added to the Royal coat of arms of Scotland and, since 1707, has appeared in the Scottish version of the arms of British Monarchs, including the present Royal coat of arms of the United Kingdom used in Scotland.


*According to legend, the "guardian thistle" has played its part in the defence of the ancient realm of Scotland against a night attack by Norwegian vikings, one of whom let out a yell of pain when he stepped on a prickly thistle, thus alerting the Scottish defenders. In the motto "No-one attacks me with impunity" (Latin: "Nemo me impune lacessit"),"me" was therefore originally the thistle itself, but by extension now refers to the Scottish regiments which have adopted *(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemo_me_impune_lacessit ).
In “The Cask of Amontillado” we can read about a personal revenge, one with an uncertain origin. Montresor carefully planned Fortunato’s (ironically named) death in an unknown city in Carnival . A revenge that’s shows Montresor‘s soul as dark as the catacombs of his family. What’s a revenge? According to Cambridge dictionary it’s harm done to someone as a punishment for harm that they have done to someone (ttp://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/revenge).Only a person with mental problems could have planned such a cruel crime, a revenge that after fifty years had impunity

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario